Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Okay, yes. Its not as if listening to Beethoven once makes you an intelligent person---even if you were insightful and creatively penetrated the experience from the beginning. Its the arc of these moments that matter, and the combined sum.

Yesterday, for instance. I spent about 3 hours online defining unschooling with a group of mothers who've been homeschooling a long time. It would be fair to call our meeting a serious and intense focus group, as if Obama had asked us for a professional working definition. Because we are badass like that. And also because we take our jobs seriously. And because we are all interested. It was a great conversation. But after 3 hours on the computer, I was fried. I needed to get outside and I wanted to be with my kids.

So I made them take a walk with me. I'm an unschooling rule breaker, but we might have guessed I would break even my own rules, of course. Yes, I basically forced them. Its top of the season right now and the trees are banging and the air is perfect and its been way too long since we all walked together. Walking together was standard procedure in the early years. The dogs about flat lost their minds with happiness from the get go.

We walked and it was spectacular. No one could pretend to be unhappy to be there. We visited "root ball" who is looking very small these days. The clear cut field is starting to heal and offered an unexpectedly lovely long view. We saw unusual lichen. We went off trail. We discovered mullein! I paused and gave a brief herbal seminar, explaining the importance of the herb, where and how it grows, and two really cool uses for it. We passed around a leaf. I mean, you have to touch it. Its so memorably furry. And we jumped some deer.

An interesting thing happened in my brain when we jumped the deer. I've been....unusually worried...about bears this year. So my first thought was, bear. Everything slowed and I realized, even though I had not been aware of paying attention at all, I knew where each dog was even though I could not see them. And I became very aware of where the kids were, next to me. We all stopped instantly and turned in the same direction. H said, "Dogs." I, already, strangely, knowing where the dogs were said, "No. Deer." And up they jumped. My God, they make a commotion. Its a kind of thrashing with its own signature sound. The kids will know it from now on.

As we walked H mentioned he's been reading Plato and Socrates. He talked about Socrates' theory of the dualistic nature of reality and how that might relate to reincarnation. He says the ancient philosophers are interesting and "actually pretty cool." And I thought, Huh. Wow. So that's what you're thinking about these days.

Blue eyes for miles, Pretty as a peach
Glorious kind and always on the time never far out of reach
Tomorrow's on its way
And there's always new songs to sing
Glorious kind and always on time, Pearls on a string  ~Ryan Adams


That song always makes me think of R. These days are like pearls on a string. When you get miraculous small glimpses into who the kids are and what they spend their time doing, you feel very okay about unschooling. Sure, they waste as much time on video games as the rest of us. But gems are in the mix, and plenty of them. It all totals something fine and worthy and full of love.

Have a listen: Pearls On A String

3 comments:

  1. The bear thing is ridiculous. I'm letting go of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculous? Hardly. Fear may be unnecessary, but being "bear aware" is what we call it around my halls, and it is very real that NC is experiencing a resurgence of bears, so, "intuitive" might be a good frame for your instincts. Having the privilege and awesome opportunity to see a bear in the wild has become more of a possibility in your lifetime, here in your home state. We have lots of bears and some are moving through the Piedmont on a regular basis. Bears are mild mannered unless habituated to a food source full of addictive stuff like sugar, in which case they can be more persistent about sticking around. They do not want to be seen by or interact with you, generally. The Piedmont is not great habitat for them, and there is no 'welcome' sign being hung out by residents, though if there were, we might be able to have a few more of them here. Because the humans have stood up and said to the Commission, "no bears here!", there is now a hunting season for bears in the Piedmont in some counties. Two bears were killed last year in each of Stokes and Warren counties. Twelve have been harvested in the Piedmont since 2005. For a distribution map of sightings and harvest, you can go to http://www.ncwildlife.org/Learning/Species/Mammals/BlackBear.aspx

    I sound like a professional... how did that happen? That's such a gift....since I didn't go to school to learn what I just said. I know this information just because I work somewhere that has briefed me. All this authority is just a result of having the job (and wearing the uniform) and learning from peers in the margins at work about bears once I got in the door. Getting in the door now, that was another matter -- that's what took the degrees. Degrees can be gotten at any time.They're sometimes easier to get before the rest of life happens, like babies and house payments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Okay. Thanks. I had no idea we have actual hunting seasons now! WOW!

    ReplyDelete