Friday, November 28, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
I think that might have been the nicest Thanksgiving I've ever had. We ate, we drank, we recorded Christmas Carols with jingle bells in hand. The girls wrote and recorded a Thanksgiving Anthem. Uncle Stuart taught the kids how to safely open champagne; the kids had their first glass; they hated it. The food was average. The company was superior. We played password. Fortune cookie poems were a hit. The day was simply lovely and the weekend offers more of the same.

Savings

Last night we set the clocks back,
gaining an extra hour to sleep
or drink or read, and I walked
through the house changing the time
in the coffee maker, the stove,
the VCR, the thermostat,

then I went into the bathroom
to twist the dial of the scale
a few pounds lighter
and I moved the numbers down
on the blood pressure machine
so my wife won’t need as many pills,
then to the children’s rooms,
to erase the doorframe marks
and repencil them slightly lower,
not to the point we again would need
strollers or slings, just an inch or two,
to make these days last longer.

 ~Joe Mills "The Miraculous Turning"

No comments:

Post a Comment