Friday, October 17, 2014

Next assignment. Well, I suppose I should first mention the first assignment. The kids are taking an essay writing class this fall. If the class trends the way its started, they will be writing an essay a week through December. First class, a one paragraph essay. Second class, three paragraphs. Third class, five, and so on. Actually, its turned out to be fun and they rather enjoy it.

Because we're unschoolers I rarely declare mandatory assignments. But this next thing is just too good. First, we'll read: The True-Life Horror That Inspired Moby-Dick. Then we are going to listen to the audio version of Moby Dick. And we'll sum up next year when we all go see this together! That's some badass lesson planning, if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

  1. Can't tell me writing doesn't matter. Writing is communication. Communication is connection. Connection is relationship. It's hard to live without relationships. I don't need to write to my spouse much (though it's fun too), Perhaps our nearest don't need us to write well (yet it helps at times). But the wider world does need us to write, so they can get to know us from a distance. I share myself with the world through words every day. Writing is a fine skill. It's fun to write, when one feels they have something to say -- which is about now, I would suppose, in your children's lives. I hope they enjoy the exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops...typos. See, those mess up the flow of my message. I wish I could edit them - and clean up my writing!

    ReplyDelete