Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Oh my goodness, Chase Mielke and I disagree completely:

What students really need to hear is this: "I'm here to help you get what you want." And for schooled kids it might not hurt to toss in: Unlike blowhard men of privilege who think they know more about your life than you and who have been studiously trying to change your mind to serve their convenience, while convincing you it's for your own good.

Let's pull up a "positive" response in the comment's section of his essay because it has the ring of common experience: "This is AMAZING. My youngest son just started college. I have three sons. I’ve struggled with these issues with all of them. I’m going to print this out for them (and me) to read over and over again. I would sell my soul to be able to reach them. This helps put into words what I’m trying to teach them. Thank you"

She says she would sell her soul to reach her kids (who, she implies, weren't happy in the system -- and what pulled them apart?) but she would not question the system nor dare step outside of it. Basically: It's not working for us so something must be wrong with us. How many generations have to suffer through, at what cost to society, before we consider genuinely overhauling the school system itself? Unschoolers say: This stops now. We change now.

4 comments:

  1. Sigh. That was pretty disheartening. Pssht. So we send them for the purpose of education and it's all about school of hard knocks crap?

    I don't think so. I don't believe in any of that. I think community and caring make us stronger. They lift us up when we struggle. They take the long view and believe.

    I'm not just dreaming here. I am speaking from experience. love you, Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow that is depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is like you yelling to me "Stick your arms out!" and I do, catching myself still above ground and just in time before I fall all the way down the hole and meet the funny White Rabbit, and have to put up with that bully of a Queen. I thought all that was real. I still do, much of the time. I mean, I lived through it. I know her stare so well. You mean it's all a dream? You mean all we really need is love? Are you absolutely sure I don't need to send my children down there? It looks insane, yet, I still think that way, like sharing the memories give me something to publish, something others value and are willing to exchange, something that pays the bills. For now, here I am, hanging above the gaping dark hollow entrance and keeping it occupied, so they can't trip and fall in. Thanks for yelling, Coach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never hold you accountable for how they come out, of course...unless it is to give you due credit!

    XO

    ReplyDelete